1. You MUST have passed 3 out of 4 core classes (Math, ELA, Social Studies, Science) in the F1 column of your report card.
2. You cannot turn 15 on or before August 31, 2023.
3. You must have a current athletic physical. Physicals must be updated annually. You can pick up physical forms at the school or print the attached documents. The physical must be completed by a licensed physician, nurse practitioner, or physician assistant. Student athletes and their families must also read and sign the concussion form which is also attached or can be picked up from the school. These forms must be completed and given to the head coach before students can workout, tryout, or otherwise practice for any athletic team.
4. Eligibility is based on the previous semester. For example, if a student failed 2 core classes this past year (2022-2023) they would not be eligible for athletic participation until January 2024 (after 1st semester). That means they would not be able to participate in Fall Sports (football, volleyball, boys soccer, cheerleading) or Winter Sports (basketball, cheerleading). Eligibility does not change from season to season or grading period to grading period. It is only reviewed after each semester.
5. Students entering 6th grade and students entering 9th grade are automatically eligible for athletic participation at their new school.
Above is a link to the NCDPI Middle School athletic manual. Here you will find answers to all your questions on middle school athletics. Middle School athletics is overseen by the NC State Board of Education not the NCHSAA, so there are differences, as you will see in the middle school manual.